Liquid calories in alcohol, juices, sports drinks or sodas can have an enormous impact on our weight. Our bodies don’t detect the calories in these liquids the same way as they do when we eat solid foods and start to 'feel full'. 400-700 calories are a normal range for an appropriate meal. Below are the average calories in popular drinks.
If you do the math, some of these drinks would put you over your calorie limit before you even took a bite of food:
- One glass of wine 100 calories
- Starbucks Frappuccino 470 calories
- Mixed drink 300 or more calories
- 16 ounce latte with whole milk 260 calories
- Average margarita more than 500 calories The best way to avoid drinking large amounts of calories and sugar is to choose water for your drink of choice.
Ways to reduce your liquid calories
- Sip on flavored teas
- Lighten coffee or tea with nonfat milk instead of creamer
- Add a slice of lemon or lime to sparkling water
- Choose 100% juice over 'fruit drink' or 'fruit beverage'.