When your goal is to eat healthy, nothing beats a home cooked meal where you control the ingredients and the portions. The problem is finding the time every evening to cook a full dinner. That’s where an easy make-ahead meal plan allows you to prep recipes in advance so only a few steps remain to finish up the meal.
Here are a few tips to get and stay on track:
- Plan 1½ to 2 hours to cook over the weekend. Sundays work best since it’s closest to Monday to keep your food fresh.
- Find ingredient overlaps. Spinach can be used in salad, on sandwiches or inside a quesadilla.
- Pick a lean protein that allows you to mix and match ingredients and sauces. Cooked chicken paired with vegetables for an Asian stir-fry, add to tacos, or use with pasta.
- Once you decide what meals you are making, write a shopping list. Look through your pantry first to see what ingredients you may already have on hand.
- Get proper containers such as mason jars, Tupperware or even plastic bags.
A little Sunday meal-prep can make it a reality to plate a healthy dinner in just a few minutes even during a busy week.