If you’ve ever experienced back pain, you are not alone. Whether suffering from a dull, constant ache to a sudden, sharp sensation before debilitating pain, relief and prevention are essential.
Back pain MAY be prevented by:
- Maintaining correct posture. Don’t slouch while standing or sitting.
- Lifting objects properly. Lift from the knees, pull the stomach muscles in, keep your head in line with a straight back, and do not twist when lifting.
- Making moderate physical activity a daily habit.
- Managing weight. Significant amounts of weight can put stress on the back.
- Stretching regularly. Stretching loosens muscles, and can strengthen the back.
Two simple stretches to help relieve back pain are:
- Knee to chest. Lie flat on your back with toes pointed to the sky. Slowly bend your right knee and pull your leg up to your chest. Wrap your arms around your thigh, knee or shin, and gently pull the knee towards your chest. Repeat with left knee.
- Lying knee twist. Lie on your back with legs extended straight out. Bend the right knee up and cross it over the left side of your body. Repeat with left leg.
“Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.” Michael McGriffy M.D.