Good nutrition isn’t about what diet you follow, foods to avoid or vitamin supplements to take. Dietary Guideline recommendations are food-based guidance intended to promote health and reduce risk of chronic disease with healthy eating. There is more than one way to eat healthfully and everyone can make healthy choices that reflect their preferences, cultures, and budgets.
To find your own healthy eating style take into account what works for you and your life:
- Eat all the foods you enjoy, but in smaller quantities.
- Always have a plan. Prep meals for the week or decide what you will eat before going to a restaurant.
- Eat nutrient rich foods to keep hunger at bay.
- Have your biggest meal mid-day when your body needs fuel and your digestion is at its peak.
- Follow the 80/20 rule, eating healthy 80% of the time and save 20% for splurges.
Start with small changes. Healthy eating patterns are built from all daily food and drink choices. Find your healthy eating style and maintain it over a lifetime.
“If you keep good food in your fridge, you will eat good food.” Errick McAdams