The foods you eat can help preserve your long-term health and certain foods may be helpful for boosting the immune system.
Here are five types of nutrients that your immune system needs to perform:
- Vitamin C can be found in citrus fruits and juices, kiwi fruit, peppers, broccoli and strawberries. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant that may be helpful to boost the immune system of people under stress.
- Zinc is an essential mineral and food sources of zinc include oysters, baked beans, cashews and chick peas.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids are known to suppress inflammation. Try walnuts, flaxseed and oily fish including salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout and sardines.
- Vitamin E another powerful antioxidant is contained in almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, peanut butter and wheat germ.
- Carotenoids when consumed are converted to Vitamin A, a nutrient that helps regulate the immune system, found in carrots, kale, apricots, papaya and mango.