When it comes to food, it can be hard to separate fact from fiction. With so many 'health food' companies popping up around the country, it’s more important than ever to read labels and remember portion control.
HEALTHY FOODS' THAT YOU MAY HAVE HEARD ARE GOOD FOR YOU, BUT THEY ARE NOT:
1. Granola bars. While high in fiber, be sure to watch for sugar.
2. Turkey burgers. Red meat gets a bad rap, but if turkey burgers aren’t made using lean turkey, they may have nearly the same fat content as red meat.
3. Fruit juices. It’s the sugars in fruit juices that you should watch for, otherwise they can be as 'healthy' as drinking a soda.
4. Sports drinks. Watch the sodium in sports drinks, as they may make you thirstier. There is nothing like cold, refreshing water during and after a workout.
FOODS THAT YOU MAY HAVE HEARD ARE BAD FOR YOU, BUT THEY ARE NOT:
1. Eggs. Egg yolks do contain cholesterol, however, they contain nutrients that may help lower risk of heart disease, as well as protein, vitamins B12, riboflavin and folate.
2. Potatoes. Potatoes in particular, provide one of the lowest cost options for four key nutrients including potassium, fiber, vitamin C and magnesium.
3. Chocolate. This is one that everyone wants to hear about over and over again. Chocolate is rich in an antioxidant called flavonol. In addition to fighting off cancer, chocolate can lower high blood pressure. Remember, chocolate is high in calories so limit servings to about an ounce.
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad." - Aldous Huxley