When you hear the word contract, you may automatically think of a legal document for business purposes or large purchases like a house or car. A contract is an agreement with specific terms where there is a promise to do something in return for a payment. So you’ve probably never considered a contract between parents and kids. Why not make a deal with the ones you love which would benefit the entire family by committing to good health, getting in shape and staying in shape? Create a written contract outlining ways to improve well-being as a family by:
- Being physically active for at least a half hour a day.
- Limiting screen time including, watching television, using computers or tablets, and playing games, etc. to 2-3 hours or less a day.
- Drinking more water and limiting sugary drinks.
- Eating at least 3 to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. (The more, the better).
- Eating a healthy breakfast everyday.
All contracts have conditions when commitments or a performance must be made. Set a time frame and come up with a reward that will benefit the entire family. Once you set your terms and understandings of what the perks will be, have each family member sign the contract. The mutual promises made, will bind you together on a positive path to a happier and healthier family.
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault