By now everyone is aware of the benefits of walking. It is the easiest way to lose weight, reduce cholesterol, increase circulation, improve mood, benefit your heart and reduce risk of cancer, osteoporosis as well as Type 2 diabetes. There are more surprising secret benefits of walking that you may NOT already know, which include but are not limited to:
- Boosting brain function. If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. As your legs begin to move, your thoughts will start to flow.
- Increases energy. A 20-minute walk will give you a boost to pick you up without tiring you out.
- Helps you sleep. Exercise like a brisk walk boosts the effect of natural sleep hormones to sleep better.
- Saves you money. Walk a few miles to save a few gallons in the tank!
- Prevent Falls. Staying active by walking daily limits the loss of ability to function for everyday activities such as climbing stairs and carrying groceries as people age.
Walking the Right Way
Any way you walk will better your health, but if you pay attention to your form you will get even more return on your stride. Pay attention to your form from head to toe.
Stand tall and look out in front of you. Don’t look down at your feet.Bend your arms and elbows to a 90-degree angle and swing your arms back forth.Land on your heels then push off with your toes to propel yourself forward.
Next time you are feeling bored, tired, moody, or need a memory boost, just take a walk for all the psychological and physical benefits. If you can get outside, even better, the daylight and being in nature is an added benefit.
“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.” ~Henry Ford