Nothing says summer like fresh peas from the farmer’s market. There are dozens of types of peas, each with subtle differences in flavor. Their sweet taste and starchy texture can be enjoyed as a simple side dish or added to salads, dips and stews.
Green peas are good for you and the environment:
Good for you:
- Green peas contain vitamins, minerals and nutrients that promote vision and eye health.
- One cup of peas includes valuable amounts of vitamin E, which can repair damaged skin, thicken hair, balance hormones, balance cholesterol and fight disease.
- Green peas are an extremely low-fat food and a reliable source of omega-3 fats.
Good for the environment:
- Pea crops can provide the soil with important benefits such as taking nitrogen from the air and adding it to the soil without added fertilizer.
- Peas have a shallow root system which can help prevent soil erosion.
- Rotating other crops with peas has been shown to lower the risk of pest problems, leading to less use of insecticides.