Riding a bicycle can offer basic transportation, fun and fitness. Whether you are an avid rider, thinking about dusting off your bike or just getting started, there are lots of great reasons to ride.
A few include:
• Getting some exercise.
• Breathing the fresh air.
• See your environment at a slower pace.
• Sense of freedom, adventure and joy.
If you are getting on a bike for the first time in a long while, getting started is simpler than it seems. The basic necessities for cycling are just you, a bike and a helmet. Biking is a great way to burn calories, reduce stress and enjoy the outdoors.
A few ways to keep your rides safe and enjoyable are:
- Be realistic and start small. Your body will need to adjust to a totally new activity. Aim to ride a certain number of days per week to stick with it.
- Stay safe and wear a helmet. When riding alone, always carry a form of identification, cash and your phone in case of an emergency.
- Follow traffic laws. This includes coming to a complete stop at all stop signs and red lights.
- Never wear headphones or earbuds while riding outdoors. If you need tunes for motivation opt for a small blue tooth speaker.
- Bring water. An effective cycling workout will make you thirsty.
“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.” John Howard